Catholic Timeline Company

Catholic Timeline Company
My store

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why I am Catholic, and Think You Shouuld be too

1.       I am Catholic because I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the promised one of God. He said that He would build a church (Matthew 16:18). The ONLY church that can trace itself historically to the time of Jesus is the Roman Catholic Church. Therefore, it must be His.
2.       I am Catholic because the Bible is a Catholic book. Let me ask you some questions.

a.        Do you believe that the Bible is 100% inspired by The Holy Spirit? (2Timothy 2:16). We do.

b.       Do you believe that you need to have the Holy Spirit to interpret the Bible? (2Peter 1:20, 21) We do.

c.        Do you believe that you need the Holy Spirit to recognize which books in the Bible actually belong in the Bible?  We do.

If you answered YES to all three questions then consider this: It is a historical fact that the Roman Catholic Church put the Bible together as we have it today at the Councils of Rome (381 A.D.), Hippo (393 A.D.), and Carthage (397 A.D.). Any Encyclopedia should address this fact for confirmation if you don’t believe me. Since it was the Roman Catholic Church that clearly had the Holy Spirit to put the Bible together and to recognize (see proposition c. above) which books were inspired, wouldn’t they have the same Holy Spirit to know the interpretation of those books? I believe they do, and if you are a Bible reader and believer, you should believe as well.  When you hold that Bible in your hands, you are holding the work of the Holy Spirit through the Roman Catholic Church.

3.       I am Catholic because of how she interprets the Bible.  Jesus didn’t just give us a book. He gave us a whole message only by word of mouth. (I realize that the Old Testament is written, but I am here speaking specifically of the New Testament Gospel). The Apostles had in themselves authority to preach this Gospel. Jesus said in Luke 10:16 He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me. (KJV) So to hear the apostles was to hear Jesus. In time, not right away, they wrote some of this Gospel message down to be sent to different groups for different reasons. Here is my point though, not only did the Apostles write, but they preached as well. And not only did the audience receive the message, but they received the interpretation of that message which is equally as important. St. Paul says this: 2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.(KJV) We need to hold on to both the word and the epistle. Christians debate over the meaning of the Gospel, but certainly the Apostles knew its meaning, do you believe they passed this on as well with the written word? We believe they did. Let me ask you, which is more important, that I have the whole Bible memorized and not know what it means, or know what it means but not have it memorized? Certainly you agree it is better to know the meaning. Now, we know historically who preserved that written word through the centuries before the printing press: The Roman Catholic Church. So if God used the Catholic Church to preserve the text, wouldn’t it also make sense for Him to use the same vehicle to preserve the meaning as well? We believe He has. So, not only did God use His Catholic Church to protect the Word of God through the ages, but also used the Catholic Church to protect its meaning as well.

4.       I am Catholic because of the Saints. Yes I know the Bible calls all those who belong to Christ “saints” (Ephesians 1:1). Saint just means holy and if you belong to Christ you are holy. What I want to talk about here though are those Christians who have gone before us who have taken the medicine of Christ and His Church religiously (pun intended). Yes, we are sinners and the media has picked up on our past and present sins and scandals. But while we are all scandal makers to one degree or another, I am talking of those who are bright lights in history, e.g. St. Francis, Mother Theresa, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, St. Therese of Lisieux and thousands of others. These people were faithful Catholics and lived holy and miraculous lives for Jesus. Jesus said that a tree is known by its fruit (Matthew 7:17, 18).  But there is an objection here: What about all those scandals? Doesn’t that disprove your argument? Now, if these scandals flowed from the teaching of Christ and His Church I would agree. Jesus warned us of scandal makers (Luke 17:1, 2) and the Bible is filled with examples of them, yet God is faithful always to his Church (2Timothy 2:13). We don’t look at test subjects of a new medicine who don’t take the medicine faithfully. We look at the results of those who have taken it as prescribed by the doctor. If you want to see the fruits of the faith of Catholics look to the saints and examine their lives. They are the ones that have taken the medicine of Christ and His Church most faithfully, and none other can compare in the results of their fruit.

5.       Roman Catholics profess ONE faith. Jesus prayed that his followers would all be one (John 17:20, 21). Well Christians of course disagree about how “one” we are supposed to be but St. Paul gives us some clarification.

a.        He says in 1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.(KJV)

b.       He says the same in KJV Philippians 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.(KJV)

Not only do Catholics today profess the same faith together, but it has been the same faith for the past 2000 years.

6.       I am Catholic because the miracles that have been done by God through her members are unlike any other except those in Bible times. Jesus said John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. (KJV) Jesus himself says that greater things would be done by those who have faith in Jesus. This has happened in the history of the Catholic Church up until this very day.

a.        In the time of Joshua 10 the Sun stood still for a time while a battle was being fought. In October 13, 1917 the Sun “danced” in the sky in Fatima, Portugal and was witnessed by 70,000 people. This occurred as a sign that people should repent from their sins and become more fervent. 

b.       Just as the bones of Elisha 2Kings 13:21 restored a man to life so also today are the remains of saints channels of many miracles.

7.       Finally, I am Catholic because it is plain that it is the Church the devil hates the most. Go to your local movie store, how many movies bash Baptists, Methodists, or Non-denominational churches? 1, maybe 2? Now, how many bash the Catholic faith? A great number. Why is this? It is precisely because the devil knows which one is the sure path to heaven.

10 comments:

labbazia said...

This is a great evangelization tool. How can we order copies of pamphlets for our parishes?

Mp said...

Definately. Looking to get copies also.

Chris said...

Thank you Dan for this great post. I am sending this to all our parishioners, and my other Christian friends.

heatnhumidity said...

All the answers are here. Are copies available?

Suzanne Beck said...

DITTTO!!! Heard you on the Morning show and loved it. Want it pamplet form asap!! Please email at suzbeck@yahoo.com

Daniel Egan said...

Wow, Praise God for all of His great gifts.

If you are interested in obtaining copies of this pamphlet, please write me at

catholic4areason@gmail.com
or call me 859-866-7885.

Include the desired amount and an address.

I will try as long as I can afford to send one for free. I will sell them I think in groups of 50. The price will be affordable, I just have to talk to my printer.

OfGodsAndMen said...

Dan,

#1-6 solid as usual. #7 unique, love it.

p.s. I also look forward to your bible tidbits each week on the Son Rise Morning Show.

Rachel M. Gohlman said...

Oh but you left out the best reason to be Catholic- the Eucharist!

mimo said...

Wonderful tool to help with evangelization! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insight - I needed to share this information today with family. And here it is!. Thank you for your faithfulness.